Death By Logic!

Death By Logic!

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Passing of a Warrior

This post is dedicated to the memory of a unique and amazing individual. The Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, has passed on, leaving a strange gap in me. While some may say it was bound to happen at some point, given his lifestyle, it still shocked and saddened me to learn of Mr. Irwin's death. It also puzzled me; why should the death of someone I have never met affect me so?

After thinking it over for awhile, I have decided the biggest reason I will miss Steve Irwin is related to what he represented: Wildlife conservation and increasing public knowledge of wildlife. Steve Irwin was a passionate advocate of both the aforementioned, and his influence will be sorely missed. It is safe to say there is no one quite like Mr. Irwin, nor is it likely that there ever will be again. His dedication to the protection and conservation of animals, from the highly endangered species to the more commonplace, was worthy of respect.


I am not a "tree-hugger" or a "nature zealot" myself, but I do recognize that the protection of ecosystems (and the creatures that comprise them) is of very serious importance. It is for this reason, more so than any other, that I mourn the passing of the late Steve Irwin. He was an amazing man with a true gift when it came to interaction with wildlife. He was a self-proclaimed "wildlife warrior", fighting to increase public awareness and protect the world we all call home. And with The Crocodile Hunter's death only hours old, his fervor, unequaled and blazingly genuine, is already painfully absent.

Godspeed, Steve Irwin. I, for one, will miss you.

No comments: